Australia is known for its shoreline and its perfect beaches. Brisbane being the “Sunshine State,” can also mean that your house can turn into a literal “hot” spot. Here are some tips on how to keep your house cool in summer in Brisbane:
• Ventilation is important- You should take care to ensure there is plenty of natural ventilation in your home. Keep your windows closed when the sun is at its peak. Open them just before sunset. This will help the cooler air flow through the house.
• Shading elements- Keep your windows shaded with window treatments like curtains, drapes, blinds or plantation shutters. Adding awnings to the exterior walls above large windows helps shade them and reduces the indoor temperatures too.
• Fans against air conditioning- Contrary to popular beliefs, fans are not only the most cost-effective way to keep your house cool in summer in Brisbane, but also the most effective one. Switch your fan on for about 30 minutes prior to turning the air conditioner on. This helps spread cool air from the aircon units, throughout the house.
• Reset the ceiling fans- When you think about how to keep your house cool in summer in Brisbane; consider resetting your ceiling fans to summer mode. Ensure that they are operating counterclockwise in the hot summer months- it creates a bit of a wind-chill effect.
• Isolate certain rooms- When you are using air-conditioning, close the rooms that aren’t being used. This will make the space you are actually using, much cooler.
• Alter the manner in which you cook- Your oven generates a large amount of heat; while you can’t stop cooking just because you are thinking about how to keep your house cool in summer in Brisbane, you can switch to using the grill or simply use the BBQ in your outdoor kitchen or on the patio or deck.
• Re-arrange electronics – Reposition the electronics, so they are further away from the aircon thermostats as the latter will detect heat and take longer to cool the room
Follow these simple, yet effective tips on how to keep your house cool in summer in Brisbane. For the best building construction, call Pinnacle Building and Maintenance at this number-+07 3102 4442. Alternatively, call Greg at +0413 081 443 or request a quote using the online form.